John A. Van de Walle Professional Development Grants
The Greater Richmond Council of Teachers of Mathematics is pleased to announce a program of annual grants to its members. The Council encourages professional development among its members and will award annually up to four grants, each not exceeding $1000. Awards will be given to current members to help them defray personal expenses, not otherwise reimbursed, for the following activities:
1. Doing a special project in the classroom (funds for consumable materials cannot exceed 10% of the total proposed amount)
2. Enrolling in a mathematics or mathematics education college credit course (up to $1000)
3. Attending a regional mathematics or mathematics related conference
4. Participating in a mathematics or mathematics education summer institute
5. First-time attendee to an NCTM Annual Conference
6. Attending a VCTM Annual Conference
All current members of the Greater Richmond Council of Teachers of Mathematics are eligible to apply. Only one application per member may be submitted each year. Previous awardees are eligible to apply three years following their last award.
No later than one year following completion of the professional development activity, recipients of the GRCTM Professional Development Grants shall:
Completed applications are to be submitted no later than November 15 for winter and spring grants or March 15 for summer and fall grants. Awardees will be notified and introduced at the fall or spring GRCTM Conference. All awards are for reimbursement of funds for activities to be carried out within one calendar year.
Applications will be judged on several criteria including the level of impact of the proposed activity on the applicant and the applicant’s school. Please keep in mind that these proposals are to suggest activities that are above and beyond your normal duties.
Lucien T. Hall, Jr. Distinguished Service Award
Nominations are being accepted for the Lucien T. Hall, Jr. Distinguished Service Award. Consider nominating a colleague that exhibits these characteristics.
Deadline for nominations is January 31.